Whether you are a novice investor or an expert looking for UK’s best stock trading apps, you have landed in the right place. We understand that there are many stock brokers in the UK market, and finding a reliable one can be a pain in the neck. In this article, we simplify the search for you.
Our team of experts has spent more than 150 hours testing and reviewing trading apps in the UK to ensure we recommend the best of the best. So, if you allow us, let’s get into it!
In this guide
Best Stock Trading Apps in the UK 2021
- 1. eToro – Best Stock Trading App for Beginners in the UK
- 2. IG Markets – Best For Advanced Stock Traders in the UK
- 3. Plus500 – The Best Free Stock Trading App in the UK
- 4. Plus500 – Best CFD Trading App For Stocks in the UK
- 5. AvaTrade – Best Automatic Stock Trading App in the UK
- 6. IG Markets – Best Stock Trading Practice App in the UK
- 7. CMC Markets- Best Stock Spread Betting App in the UK
How we test?
Our test process is really based on two different aspects: our independent tests and research, as well as user reviews from Google Play, the App Store, and Trustpilot, etc.
The first thing we do when testing is to check every detail and test every tool and instrument. Our experts spend more than 200 hours on every article. We pay special attention to the specific function or the criteria that we’re comparing during the comparing stage. This means that we must determine which broker is more suited for beginners, and which is better suited for experts, for example. Find out more about our test process here.
Compare The Best Stock Trading Apps in the UK
We take our brokers’ testing and reviewing procedures very seriously and have specific standards that all the brokers we recommend here must meet. We mostly base our research on the following metrics:
That said, here is our ratings of the best stock trading apps in the UK according to Trustpilot, Google Play, and App Store honest user reviews.
1. eToro - Best Stock Trading App for Beginners in the UK
Our extensive hours of research have led us to conclude that eToro is the best stock trading app in the UK because of its easy-to-use features. If you are a beginner looking for a stock trading app, this broker will serve you best. Not only does it offer a wide range of stock market assets, but trading stocks with eToro is commission-free. On top of that, the app’s trading platform is very responsive, and traders do not need to worry about lagging activities.
One thing that sets eToro apart from the others is its copy and social features. Beginners can interact and copy trades from the professionals making it easy for them to learn trading strategies quickly. Its CopyTrader and CopyPortfolios tools included in eToro’s copy feature are among the reasons why the app is the best for beginners in the UK.
Being the pioneer of social trades, eToro is also licensed and regulated by tier-one authorities, including the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC). This makes the trading app safe for your investments.
- Advanced trading platform with an attractive user interface design
- Social trading features to copy and interact with experts
- It is licensed and regulated by various top-tier authorities such as the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Commission-free trading on stocks
- Has a minimum deposit requirement
2. IG Markets - Best For Advanced Stock Traders in the UK
IG Markets is known not only in the UK but also globally as one of the best stock brokerage firms. Offering more than 17,000 market assets, this app has one of the most advanced trading platforms ever seen. The platform has technical tools with many options that is why it is primarily recommended for advanced stock traders in the UK.
IG Markets is safe to invest in. Its mobile application is also supported on both Android and iOS devices. This allows you to monitor your trades whenever you are away from your desktop.
If you are a low-budget investor, IG Markets will not suit your requirements because it charges a high commission on stock CFDs. However, with many trading tools that the broker offers, investing with it can be worth the charges. Since the broker is known as the best in stock trading, we also recommend it to foreign investors.
- Highly reputable stock broker with multiple licenses from tier-one financial authorities
- Offers various foreign market assets
- Over 17,000 stock market instruments to choose from
- CFD trading available
- High commission charges on stock CFDs
3. Plus500 - The Best Free Stock Trading App in the UK
Since its inception in 2008, Plus500 has grown to be one of the safest stock trading apps globally. It is licensed and regulated by top-tier authorities, including the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The app is best suited for stock investors with a low budget because it charges low commissions on stocks. CFD trading on this broker is also commission-free. The only fee you will incur is that of spreads.
Investors using this app also have an option to obtain leverage whereby they get to borrow extra funds from the broker to trade and pay with interest. Although the app has limited educational tools, you can always try it out using its demo account, which is free of charge. After figuring out if it works best for you, only then can you create a live account and try your luck on stock trading.
Finding a trading app offering a variety of technical tools for research is not easy to come across. Plus500 delivers in this area, making it a go-to app for many investors in the UK. Note that the broker also has a minimum deposit requirement of £100 and accepts payments through bank transfers, credit/debit cards, PayPal, Google/Apple Pay, and Trustly.
One thing that limits Plus500 is its high inactivity fees, which are usually charged after three months of not placing a trade. Therefore, we primarily recommend this app to active investors.
- Variety of payment methods, including PayPal
- Zero commissions on stocks, and ETFs
- Over 2000 global CFD instruments
- Regulated by the stringent financial authorities in the market
- Limited educational tools
- Charges inactivity fee after three months
4. Plus500 - Best CFD Trading App For Stocks in the UK
Any stock investor in the UK will attest that Plus500 app is the most preferred when it comes to CFD trading. Supported on both Android and iOS devices, this app offers various trading instruments, including commodities, and options.
Plus500 offers two types of accounts, namely retail and professional. Although the retail version is standard, you can easily qualify for a professional one by answering various questions during the signup process. Trading on these two accounts is almost similar. The only difference is the leverage level one can use to trade.
Another factor that made us like the Plus500 app is its zero commissions on stock CFD trading. It also has tight spreads making it an ideal choice for stock investors with a low budget. Day traders who invest multiple times in a day can also find Plus500 a broker of choice. Note that the broker charges inactivity fees, which kicks in after three months. Therefore, before you commit to this CFD trading app, make sure you are a frequent investor.
- Investors can trade using leverage
- An easy-to-use trading app that is highly customisable
- 2000+ CFD trading instruments
- Zero commission on stock CFD with tight spreads
- Charges inactivity fees after three months
5. AvaTrade - Best Automatic Stock Trading App in the UK
Founded in 2006, AvaTrade is a global broker regulated by top-tier authorities, including the Central Bank of Ireland. Opening a stock trading account on this broker’s app is easy since it's fully digital. Commonly referred to as AvaTradeGo, the app comes with fascinating features. First, it has the AvaProtect feature that guarantees your money back if you lose a trade.
Secondly, AvaTradeGo is also known for its AvaSocial feature, where you get the opportunity to learn from the world’s best expert traders. You are also free to interact and share ideas through chat groups. With MetaTrader 4 and 5 trading platforms, Investors get access to various technical tools. Trading robots and expert advisors are also available on AvaTrade. A perfect automatic stock trading app to improve your trading experience.
Another feature of this trading app is the AvaOptions that is also suitable for options investors. It offers over 40 currency pairs with advanced charting perfectly tailored to mobile use. Finally, this automatic stock trading app connects you to global stock markets. It also offers a live news feed where investors can stay abreast with the market trends.
- Wide range of market assets, including commodities, shares, and ETFs
- Access to MetaTrader 4, which is user friendly and easily customisable
- Leverage of up to 20:1
- Access to major foreign stock exchanges such as the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- High inactivity fees
6. IG Markets - Best Stock Trading Practice App in the UK
IG Markets is a safe broker in the UK and across the globe offering more than 17,000 shares to choose from. This broker’s app is supported on both Android and iOS devices, making it a perfect choice for all users.
IG Markets’ cutting-edge trading platform is one of the most advanced in the industry. The platform is also easy-to-use and customisable. Using ProRealTime, investors can create custom technical indicators, set notification alerts, and manage their trading activities. These features are what make IG Markets the best stock trading practice app in the UK.
Additionally, You will find various educational and resource tools on this trading app to improve your trading strategies. The customer support service for this broker is also very responsive and available 24 hours every day.
One thing that limits this stock trading app is its high trading costs. Therefore, before committing with this broker, make sure that your trading needs align with its offerings. You can also test the broker using its demo account and see if it suits your trading requirements.
- Trade more than 17,000 global stocks
- Highly reputable stock broker that is regulated by tier-one authorities, including the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Fully digital trading platform that is easy-to-use and customisable
- Provides access to multiple international markets
- High trading fees