There are many long-term investment apps in the UK, offering thousands of financial instruments, including shares, mutual funds, ETFs, bonds, and trusts. However, how do you identify the one that complements your investment requirements?
Lucky for you, our team of experts has listed the best long-term investment apps in the UK. Whether you are just getting started or have been investing for a while, we have something for you. So, let’s get started.
In this guide
Best Long-Term Investment Apps in the UK 2021
- 1. Barclays – Best Long-Term Investment App in the UK
- 2. TD Ameritrade – Best Long-Term Investment App for Beginners in the UK 2021
- 3. Hargreaves Lansdown – Best Long-Term Investment App for Advanced Traders in the UK 2021
- 4. IG Markets – Commission-Free Long-Term Investment App in the UK
- 5. eToro – Long-Term Investment App for iOS
- 6. TD Ameritrade – Long-Term Investment App for Android
- Investing or Trading – What’s the Difference?
How we test?
Our test process is really based on two different aspects: our independent tests and research, as well as user reviews from Google Play, the App Store, and Trustpilot, etc.
The first thing we do when testing is to check every detail and test every tool and instrument. Our experts spend more than 200 hours on every article. We pay special attention to the specific function or the criteria that we’re comparing during the comparing stage. This means that we must determine which broker is more suited for beginners, and which is better suited for experts, for example. Find out more about our test process here.
Compare the Best Long-Term Investment Apps in the UK
When comparing the best long-term investment apps in the UK, there are many processes that we put them through. First, these brokers undergo thorough testing. We shortlist them based on the following:
Secondly, and most importantly, rate them based on honest user opinions from Google Play, Trustpilot, and the App Store. Below is a sample of our ratings.
1. Barclays - Best Long-Term Investment App in the UK
If you are a long-term investor looking for the best investment app for long-term investments in the UK, look no further than Barclays. It offers investment dealing on shares, funds, and bonds through different account types that you can choose based on your investment goals.
These investment accounts are the Investment ISA and the Investment Account. There is an additional Self-Invested Personal Pension account (SIPP), which allows you to take complete control of your pension investment activities. You can also use this account to enjoy pension investors’ tax benefits. We primarily recommend this SIPP account to expert investors who understand the risks it carries.
Investors incur low charges investing with Barclays. It doesn’t charge withdrawal or inactivity fees, which is a bonus for this broker. Additionally, their research tools are of top-notch quality, keeping you on top of your investment activities.
- Top-quality research tools.
- Low investment fees.
- Heavily regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- No minimum deposit requirement.
- No demo account.
- Monthly customer fees.
2. TD Ameritrade - Best Long-Term Investment App for Beginners in the UK 2021
We primarily recommend TD Ameritrade to beginners because it offers a wide range of instruments to invest in. Beginners who are lost for choice can try out the many assets, including shares, bonds, futures, options, and retirement planning, before settling for a specific one that suits their financial needs.
Additionally, TD Ameritrade does not charge an investment fee. The app’s platform is user-friendly, and we must admit that TD Ameritrade research and educational materials are on the top level. This is an advantage for beginners who are yet to familiarise themselves with how the investment industry works.
The investment accounts on TD Ameritrade include the standard, education, speciality, and the Individual Retirement Account (IRA). Therefore, depending on your investment requirements, TD Ameritrade got you covered.
- 0% investment commission.
- Easy-to-use investing platform.
- Many education and research materials.
- Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- You only get to invest in the US market.
- Does not accept credit/debit cards and e-wallets.
3. Hargreaves Lansdown - Best Long-Term Investment App for Advanced Traders in the UK 2021
Hargreaves Lansdown is known to be the largest private investment app for long-term investors in the UK. We highly recommend it to advanced investors because of its advanced trading platform with comprehensive tools for investments and safety as they are strictly regulated by FCA.
The investment accounts on Hargreaves Lansdown provide direct access to more than 2,500 market classes, including shares, funds, and trusts. You will also be able to invest in foreign markets such as Europe, Canada, and the US. Additionally, this app lets you customise your portfolio to suit your investment needs.
Hargreaves Lansdown has advanced research tools that will help in improving your investment decisions. It also has professional financial advisors should you have any concerns. That said, we advise you to download this long-term investment app and test it by using its risk-free demo account.
- Regulated by the FCA.
- Wide range of investment instruments.
- Plethora of advanced tools for research.
- Financial advisors to cater to your financial requirements.
- High investment charges.
- No live chat.
4. IG Markets - Commission-Free Long-Term Investment App in the UK
IG Markets is one of the best long-term investment apps because of the wide range of instruments it offers. You will have access to more than 10,000 shares, funds, and trusts to invest in. Its commission on UK shares is among the lowest in the industry. You can also invest in US shares free of charge, making it a preferred choice for share investors on a low budget.
There are various ways to invest in the market assets IG Markets offers. You can opt for an IG share dealing account and manage your investment activities or go for the diversified IG Smart Portfolio, where experts manage your investment activities at a reasonable fee. Its share dealing account has stocks and shares ISA feature that allows you to invest without incurring capital gains tax on your returns.
- +10,000 investment instruments.
- Low trading fees on the UK shares and 0% commission on the US shares.
- Various investment options to suit each investor’s requirement.
- Plenty of research and educational resources.
- Quite high deposit requirement.
- Customer support is only available five days a week.
5. eToro - Long-Term Investment App for iOS
eToro has proven to be one of the most sought out long-term investment apps by UK investors. This is because it hosts various investment assets, including stocks and ETFs, all of which you can invest at a low fee.
eToro’s trading platform is another tool that impresses iOS users. Its intuitive design that is easy to use makes it suitable for all types of investors. This app also allows you to meet successful investors and copy their stock portfolios if you do not have the requisite skills.
Investing with eToro on your iOS device takes two forms. You can choose the right broker that lets you take total control of your investment activities or opt to pay the broker’s fee and let the professionals handle everything for you.
- Variety of instruments to invest in.
- Copy feature for copying portfolios of expert investors.
- Intuitive design and easy-to-use trading platform.
- Complies with the conditions of the most strict authorities, including the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Educational and research tools are few.
- No 24/7 customer service.
6. TD Ameritrade - Long-Term Investment App for Android
Most Android users find the TD Ameritrade app reliable because of its performance, which is seamless and fast. This app allows access to a vast range of investment assets, including shares, futures, options, and bonds. You can also invest in your future retirement on this app while enjoying the tax benefits that come with it.
We were amazed by the quality of the research tools that TD Ameritrade has. They are among the top-notch quality we have seen, and the extensive educational materials are exactly what you need to strategise your investment moves.
TD Ameritrade app performs exceptionally well on all devices, but its performance on Android devices supersedes all. So, if you are a long-term investor with an Android device, this app is your best bet.
- Advanced trading platform that is user friendly.
- Quality educational and research materials for better investment decisions.
- Investment commission is free of charge.
- No transaction with credit/debit cards and e-wallets.
How to Choose the Right Long-Term Investment App in the UK
If you want to be a successful long-term investor, it is essential that you have the right tools that will not jeopardise your trading activities. One of these tools is a trusted and reliable investment app that will keep you engaged with your trading activities on the go.
That said, below are significant elements to consider when choosing a suitable long-term investment app in the UK.
A broker offering a long-term investment app must be legally authorised to extend their brokerage services to UK clients. It should hold a license from at least one tier-one regulatory body globally like the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and more.
While many long-term investment apps offer a variety of market assets to invest in, some will limit you to only a few. It is essential to choose an app that allows you to invest in various markets to broaden your trading capabilities.
Long term investors, especially beginners and those who frequently open and close positions, need an app with advanced research and educational tools for their strategy. The app should also be backed up with a news feed that will make you stay abreast with the latest market trends.
An investment app you choose should have a trading platform that is navigable and has an intuitive user interface design. Depending on your expertise level, it should also have added features such as the Social feature that allows you to interact and copy professional investors’ portfolios.
The investment apps we recommend above have different trading charges. Therefore, consider their fees first before diving straight in, if you want to have an enjoyable experience. Check their minimum deposit requirements, investment charges, deposit and withdrawal fees, etc. Also, confirm if you can afford those charges.